Fireblood Dwarf( Dragon Magic, p. 7)
|Base speed:||Land 20|
|Automatic languages:||Common , Dwarven|
|Bonus Languages:||Giant , Gnome , Goblin , Orc , Terran , Undercommon|
All dwarves bore into the earth to make their homes, but few dig as deep as the ancient Fireblood clan. Particularly fond of using dormant volcanoes as the entrances to their homes, these dwarves followed volcanic trails and tunnels in search of greater access to the world's depths. Unfortunately, this led to a horrific encounter with a nest of red dragons. Outraged at the intrusion, the greedy dragons enslaved the entire clan of dwarves. Instead of mining gold and gems for the love of beauty and creation, the dwarves now labored for the dragons.
Over time, the dwarves of the Fireblood clan began to take on certain aspects that differentiated them from others of their kind. No one knows if this was due to interbreeding with dragons, natural mutation, or a magical effect. The result, however, is an offshoot of the dwarf race singularly adapted to high temperatures—and to battling dragonkind.
The Fireblood clan long ago won its freedom, but hatred of red dragons (and by extension, evil dragons in general) still burns in their souls. Descendants of these dwarves intermarried with other dwarf families, spreading the bloodline across many clans. Thus, a modern fireblood dwarf can be born to any dwarf parents. Fireblood dwarves appear much the same as standard dwarves but have dark, red-brown skin. Most are bald and have only the faintest of beards; their close proximity to the flames deep beneath their volcanic homes tends to burn excess hair away.
- A fireblood dwarf's base land speed is 20 feet. However, fireblood dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or whose speed is reduced in such conditions).
- Darkvision 60 feet.
- Dragon Dodge: Fireblood dwarves gain a +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the dragon type. In memory of their ancestors, fireblood dwarves train from an early age to avoid surprise attacks from treacherous dragons. Any time a fireblood dwarf loses his Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when he is caught flat-footed, he loses this dodge bonus too.
- Dragonblood Subtype: Fireblood dwarves are of the dragonblood subtype (see page 4).
- Resistance to Fire 5: Fireblood dwarves have an exceptional tolerance for heat and fire, inherited from their enslaved forefathers.
- Stability: Fireblood dwarves are exceptionally stable on their feet. A fireblood dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Stonecunning: This ability grants a fireblood dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn't stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A fireblood dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a fireblood dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A fireblood dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up. Fireblood dwarves have a sixth sense about stonework, an innate ability that they get plenty of opportunity to practice and hone in their underground homes.
- Weapon Familiarity: Fireblood dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
- +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against orcs (including half-orcs) and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears): Fireblood dwarves are trained in the special combat techniques that allow them to fight their common enemies more effectively.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items: Fireblood dwarves are familiar with valuable items of all kinds, especially those made of stone or metal.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal: Fireblood dwarves are especially capable with stonework and metalwork.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects: Fireblood dwarves have an innate resistance to magic spells.