Doppelganger( Races of Destiny, p. 93)
|Base speed:||Land 30|
|Bonus Languages:||Auran , Dwarven , Elven , Giant , Gnome , Halfling , Terran|
|Racial Hit Dice:||4d8 (Monstrous humanoid)|
|Racial Base Attack:||+4|
|Racial Base Saves:||Fort +1, Reflex +4, Will +4|
Scholars have debated for centuries about the origin of the doppelgangers. Shadowy, mysterious, and enigmatic, these shapeshifters learned long ago how to integrate themselves into human society. For this reason, learned men and women believe that doppelgangers were once human. How doppelgangers gained their unique abilities is unknown, even to themselves.
Doppelgangers do not have a society of their own. They fill any desire for companionship and social interaction through their association with other races.Although doppelgangers act independently, following their own motivations and goals, rumors persist of a "secret cabal" of elder doppelgangers who dersire nothing less than control of the world. Little evidence corroborates these rumors, which may have been perpetuated by the doppelgangers themselves to lend even more mystery to their race's reputation.
- +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intel- ligence, +4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma: Doppelgangers have improved their minds and bodies through centuries of mimicking humanoid forms.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger): Doppelgang- ers are monstrous humanoids with the shapechanger subtype. They retain this type and subtype regardless of any humanoid form they may assume.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, doppelgangers have no special bonuses or penalties due to size.
- Doppelganger base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: Doppelgangers can see in the dark out to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and doppelgangers can function just fine with no light at all.
- Racial Hit Dice: A doppelganger begins with four levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4
- Racial Skills: A doppelganger's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 7 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Listen (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spot (Wis).
- Racial Feats: A doppelganger's monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
- +4 natural armor bonus: Doppelganger skin is resilient and tough.
- +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks: Dop- pelgangers have a talent for deception. When using its change shape ability, a doppelganger gets an additional +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks. If it can read an opponent's mind, it gets a further +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.
- Detect Thoughts (Su): A doppelganger uses detect thoughts as the spell (caster level 18th; Will DC 13 negates). It can suppress or resume this ability as a free action.
- Change Shape (Su): A doppelganger can assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid. In humanoid form, the doppelganger loses its natural attacks. A doppelganger can remain in its humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but a doppelganger reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form.
- Immunities: A doppelganger is immune to sleep and charm effects.
- Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Auran, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Giant, and Terran.
- Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass doppelganger's rogue class does not count when determining whether it takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
- Level adjustment: +4.