Bugbear( Races of Faerûn, p. 134)
|Base speed:||Land 30|
|Automatic languages:||Common , Goblin , Home Region|
|Bonus Languages:||Home Region|
|Racial Hit Dice:||3d8 (Humanoid (good reflex))|
|Racial Base Attack:||+2|
|Racial Base Saves:||Fort +1, Reflex +3, Will +1|
The largest of the goblinoids, bugbears stand about 7 feet tall and often atop 300 pounds. Their hides are usually yellowish, ranging from brownish to mustard yellow. Their coarse haire runs from brown to brick red. Their eyes are green-white with crimson pupils, and their ears are more wedge-shaped than those of their smaller kin.
Whatever the subrace, goblinoids are universally bullies. They pick on smaller creatures whenever they can, and when faced with a superior force they turn tail and run. Because of their smaller size, goblins prefer to strike from ambush, using every fighting trick they know to gain an edge. While tactically canny, the larger hobgoblins and bugbears usually prefer a more direct approach, often driving weaker troops before them into any perceived danger.
Goblinoids are all short-lived. Most meet a violent end long before they reach old age. They are pressed into service as adults at just 10 years of age. They rarely live to be older than 40, although some few lucky or wily individuals have been known to make it to 60 years of age.
Goblinoids have the same life expectancy and age categories as half-orcs.
Regions: Anaurach, Chult, Cormyr, Moonsea, the North, Vaasa, the Vast, Western Heartlands.
Bugbears have the following racial traits:
- +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma. Strong, fast, and tough, bugbears seem to be built for combat, but they are crude and coarse.
- Medium sized: Bugbears have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Bugbear land speed is 30 ft.
- Darkvision 60 feet.
- +3 natural armor.
- Proficient with all simple weapons and the goblin stick (Races of Faerun, pp. 154). Proficient with light armor and shields.
- Humanoid Hit Dice: A bugbear had 3d8 racial Hit Dice. A bugbear character receives the maximum hit points for his first humanoid Hit Die and rolls his other humanoid Hit Dice normally. He rolls all Hit Dice from class levels and does not automatically get maximum hit points on his first class-level Hit Die. A bugbear's racial Hit Dice also provide a +2 base attack bonus and saving throw of Fort +1, Ref +3, and Will +1. Bugbears with class levels add their class attack bonus and save bonuses to their racial attack bonuses and saves.
- Humanoid Skills: A bugbear's humanoid Hit Dice grant him skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) x6. Class skills for these skill points are Climb, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot. A bugbear does not get the x4 multiplier for skill points acquired from first class level.
- Humanoid Feats: A typical bugbear's humanoid Hit Dice grant him two feats. A typical bugbear chooses Alertness and Weapon Focus (morningstar). A bugbear with class levels gains feats based on his total Hit Dice, as shown on Table 2 in the Introduction (Races of Faerun, p. 7).
- Favored Class: Rogue.
- Level Adjustment: +1. Due to his racial Hit Dice and physical ability bonuses, a bugbear has an effective character level of 4 plus his class levels. Thus, a 3rd-level bugbear rogue would have an ECL of 7.