Hobgoblin( Races of Faerûn, p. 134)
|Base speed:||Land 30|
Hobgoblins are much larger than their goblin kin, usually reaching 6 1/2 feet in height and weighing up to 275 pounds. Their hairy hides come in dark shades ranging from reddish-brown to gray. Their eyes are yellowish or dark brown, and their teeth are yellow and strong. They like to wear bright clothing, usually red with black leather. They keep their weapons clean, even if they don't take so much care with themselves.
Whatever the subrace, goblinoids are universally bullies. They pick on smaller creatures whenever they can, and when faced with a superior force they turn tail and run. Because of their smaller size, goblins prefer to strike from ambush, using every fighting trick they know to gain an edge. While tactically canny, the larger hobgoblins and bugbears usually prefer a more direct approach, often driving weaker troops before them into any perceived danger.
Goblinoids are all short-lived. Most meet a violent end long before they reach old age. They are pressed into service as adults at just 10 years of age. They rarely live to be older than 40, although some few lucky or wily individuals have been known to make it to 60 years of age.
Goblinoids have the same life expectancy and age categories as half-orcs.
Regions: Anaurach, Chult, Cormyr, Moonsea, the North, Vaasa, the Vast, Western Heartlands.
Hobgoblins have the following racial traits:
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution. Fast and hardy, hobgoblins are tenacious and deadly in combat.
- Medium-sized. No special bonuses or penalties due to size.
- Hobgoblin land speed is 30 ft.
- Darkvision 60 ft.
- +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
- Favored class: Fighter.
- Leel Adjustment: +1. Hobgoblins are slightly more powerful and gain levels more slowly than the common races of Faerûn. A player may play a hobgoblin as a character with total levels equal to his class levels +1.