Wild Dwarf( Races of Faerûn, p. 23)
|Base speed:||Land 20|
|Automatic languages:||Common , Dwarven|
|Bonus Languages:||Chultan , Draconic , Goblin , Tashalan , Yuan-Ti|
Wild dwarves, who call themselves "dur Authalar" (the People), are the primitive inhabitants of the Jungles of Chult and the Mhair and Black Jungles. They have largely rejected the clanbased craft- and smith-oriented culture of their gold, gray, and shield dwarf cousins, choosing instead to live in hunting bands with ever-shifting memberships. Eschewing all trappings of civilization, wild dwarves live like beasts, engaged in an endless hunt for survival. Only those who dare the shadowy depths of Faerûn's southern jungles are even aware of the existence of this barbaric dwarven subrace, for these elusive hunters keep to the depths of their woodland homes.
Wild dwarves are dark-skinned, short, and stout, with dark brown eyes. Their heavily tattooed bodies are covered with grease to ward off insects and make them hard to hold. Wild dwarves wear little except their long, woven hair, which serves as adequate clothing. They plaster their hair and skin with mud to form a crude armor when going to war. Dur Authalar have more in common with the beasts of the jungle than they do with their dwarven kin, viewing life as an endless hunt and each day a struggle to kill or be killed.
Wild dwarves distrust all intruders into their jungle domain and, if confronted, are apt to attack first without question. Much like the beasts they strive to emulate, wild dwarves care little about goings-on in the world at large, the doings of those who are not wild dwarves, or material possessions.
Wild dwarves have the life expectancy and age categories defined for dwarves in Tables 6—4 and 6—5 of the Player's Handbook, but use the following random height and weight characteristics instead of those described on Table 6—6:
|Wild dwarf, male||2'8"||+2d4||50 lb.||x (1d4) lb.|
|Wild dwarf, female||2'6"||+2d4||40 lb.||x (1d4) lb.|
Wild dwarves have all the dwarven racial traits listed in the Player's Handbook, except as follows:
- Small: As Small creatures, wild dwarves gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they must use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are threequarters of those of Medium-size characters.
- Wild dwarf land speed is 20 feet.
- Proficient with the handaxe and blowgun (described on Table 6—2 in the DUNGEON MASTER's Guide). The blowgun is such an integral part of wild dwarf life that all wild dwarves learn to use the weapon. This replaces the normal weapon familiarity.
- Poison Use. Wild dwarves work with poisons from an early age, and they never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison to a weapon.
- Fire resistance 5. Wild dwarves are inured to the oppressive heat of Chult.
- +3 racial bonus on saving throws against poison. This replaces the standard dwarven bonus against poison. Wild dwarves are immune to wild dwarf knockout poison.
- +4 racial bonus on saving throws against disease. Wild dwarves have developed a strong resistance to disease of all types.
- Wild dwarves are not nearly as capable or familiar with stone and metal as their more civilized kin. They do not receive the dwarven stonecunning trait or the bonus on Appraise and Craft checks related to stone or metal.
- Automatic Languages: Dwarven, Common, home region. Bonus Languages: Chultan, Draconic, Goblin, Tashalan, Yuan-Ti.
- Favored Class: Barbarian.